Parents of college students with learning challenges such as ADD, ADHD, or even light autism often find the traditional set of learning support offerings at most colleges to be insufficient to respond to their son or daughter’s needs. That is no longer the case in Ohio. Enter six unique, fee-based learning support programs that you should know about. My next six blog entries will help you better understand your options!
Let’s start with the newest offering in Ohio. Ohio Wesleyan University’s “Bishop ACCESS Program” is a fee-based academic coaching program to help students who need an additional level of academic and out-of-class support. An assigned Academic Coach works one-on-one and in small groups with students to help them navigate university life, enhance study skills, and complete school work that requires planning, goal-setting, and managing time. Sessions begin the first week of classes and continue through the last day of classes for a total of 15 weeks a term. The program is housed in the Sagan Academic Resource Center.
- 60 minutes of coaching per week, as well as email and phone support
- Individualized Success Plan (ISP)
- Learning and Study Strategies Inventory (LASSI)
- 4 hours of supervised study table per week with academic coaching and peer tutoring support
- Workshops and final-exam support
- Student Success Network
- Communication with parents
- Secondary advising support
- End-of-semester student progress report
Bishop ACCESS is open to students with a primary diagnosis of a learning disability, attention deficit disorder, or autism spectrum disorder who wish to enhance executive functioning skills.
The ideal candidate for Bishop ACCESS has
- the ability to be academically successful in college
- age appropriate social and emotional maturity
- a diagnosis of learning disability, attention deficit disorder, or learning difficulties.
The fee for this program is $2,000 per semester. Students may enroll in the program for the fall semester or both fall and spring semesters. A fee reduction may be available based on demonstrated financial need.
About the Author: After touring 60 of the best colleges in Ohio, Dr. Jay, a prior faculty member and dean, founded College Bound Advantage (CBA) – a Columbus, Ohio college consulting firm. CBA specializes in helping families optimize college selection around 18 “fit factors” and helping students clarify co-curricular and major options while exploring colleges that specialize in them. College Bound Advantage serves all of Ohio including Cleveland, Akron, and Cincinnati metro areas. Check us out at www.collegeboundadvantage.com or check out what we can do for you here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6SSjHp8n98